Malaysian Muslim fashion and Eid-Murbarak celebration

Sarah’s F401 project on Malaysian Muslim fashion and Eid-Murbarak celebration:

Sarah tells us —

“I did independent Folklore research on some of my Muslim co-workers and friends at Indiana University. Nearly all of these college girls were from Malaysia. I initially was solely focusing on their Muslim fashion and attending an American college, but my interviewing and research period also fell on the Islamic holiday of Ramadan (a month of religious fasting), to which I was invited to Eid-Murbarak celebrations (where Muslim friends and family have big dinner parties as an official end to the fasting). During these few parties I was fortunate enough to attend, I researched and joined in on the traditional parties, customs, and fashions of these interesting and intelligent college girls.”

Photo #1- I am being shown how to wear a fashionable head scarf, or in Malaysian “tudung”. It is first pinned under the chin and then the scarf is pinned to itself and my top. It is actually quite light and comfortable. Headscarves are worn as a personal choice by a Muslim girl, some wear them, some don’t. It just depends on how conservative a Muslim they chose to. During Eid Murbarak celebrations, formal or traditional Muslim clothing is worn.

Photo #2 Most Muslim girls have a broach box, decorative pins to fashion head scarves to personal taste.

Photo #3- There are various ways to pin and style a head scarf, this was one of my personal favorites.

Photo #4- Eid Murbarak parties I found consist of two things, Food and Food. It is a very comfortable atmosphere were everyone is talking and eating lots of traditional food (and thirds are encouraged.) Eating with the fingers is believed to make the food taste better.

Photo #5- There is not one standard for dress. Here is an example of three friends with three different fashion choices. These three girls chose to not wear head scarves, left to right, the style is a Traditional Malaysian dress, a fashionable Chinese dress, and a fashionable Indonesian dress. All are beautiful.