Got That Sinking Feeling

(The following was an interview with Jennifer Landing in 1996, by Julie Smith)

JS: Ok Jennifer, do you go to the library often?

JL: Yeah I’m in there a lot, mostly because I feel like I can’t get the quiet time I need. Whenever it’s loud in my room I head over there and stay until my stuff gets done.

JS: Do you usually do your homework quietly, or do you socialize?

JL: {Leaning back in her chair} Well a lot of the time I go there to study and finish paperwork, but yes, there have been times where I’ve talked to people even if I hadn’t met them before. It’s great to have somewhere to go that’s quiet and convenient, but for some reason the library has become a sort of social place, too.

JS: What is the biggest rumor you have heard about the library, either from friends or people you have met there?

JL: Hmmm… oh well, yeah, here’s a huge one; the story about the library sinking. I heard it was dedicated in the late 60s; can’t remember the exact date. But anyhow, supposedly the architects who built it didn’t configure the number of books which would be inside. Right now there’s supposed to be over two million books inside. When more and more books were put inside, combined with all of the students and teachers who come in everyday, the place started to sink. {smiling}

JS: Can you tell it’s sinking into the ground?

JL: Well no, obviously I can’t tell {laughs}. Most people wouldn’t have even thought about if it wasn’t for the rumor. It’s not like half of the windows are below ground or one side of the building is higher than the other. I have no idea how it even got started, to be honest, but I’m beginning to think it’s either an urban legend or some scientists examined the building and figured it out that way.

JL: {Looking perplexed} Come to think of it, I can’t even remember how I heard this story. Maybe it’s not true at all, but it’s definitely something the older students pass onto the freshman to keep it alive.

Context:

Who created/performed the text- Jennifer Landing and Julie Smith, juniors
Members of the audience- only the two girls, Smith recorded the conversation
Location/timing- Herman B. Wells library, fall semester 1996

Contributor: Jackie Faine
Informant(s): Julie Smith, Jennifer Landing
Semester/Year: Fall, 1996