Zeta Phi Beta Interview

Sylvia’s Black Greek scene

Item 1

Interviewee: Member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., who chose to remain anonymous

Description:

This interview took place a day after the 2008 Little 500 Step Down, held at the IU Auditorium. The Little 500 Step Down was a competition, where different African American fraternities and sororities from Indiana University “step” or “use their bodies to dance to the percussive drum beat.” African American stepping is defined as “a form of percussive dance in which the participant’s entire body is used as an instrument to produce complex rhythms and sounds through a mixture of footsteps, spoken word, and hand clap.” Stepping is a tradition among African Americans that has been practiced historically among their fraternities and sororities since the mid 1900s. Stepping is also known to be rooted with schoolyard traditions and rituals practiced for over seven decades. Stepping can be performed by an individual; however, it is normally performed by a group of three or more people. Elements of tap dancing, marching, and gymnastics are implemented into step dancing. Props may or may not be used; some of these props include canes, rhythm sticks, and/or blindfolds.

I was fortunate enough to interview one of the participants of the step show, who is also a member of the Zeta Phi Sorority who won this year’s step down. Below is the full interview:

Full Text:

What’s the full name of your society?

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc.

How long has this sorority been around?

Since January 16, 1920

Who were the first people that founded your sorority?

By five women…I forgot their exact names but you can go to our website for the exact details: http://www.iub.edu/~pbsei/welcome.html. It was a co-joined effort with our brothers, Sigma Phi Beta. We were the only sorority that is constitutionally bounded to a brother fraternity.

What is your motto?

Our principles are scholarship, service, sisterly love, and finer womanhood.

What sets you apart from other sororities on campus?

We are the hardest working sorority on campus, our principles. And we do a lot of community service. Before I came in the sorority, there weren’t as many members as some of the other sororities on campus. We had to work harder to do everything…

What made you join?

National programs, principles, and individual chapters…. People in the sorority are nice, honest, and they are real people. When a girl would walk by and say hi…..They didn’t have trouble talking to me…I didn’t even know the girl was a Zeta.

Did anyone in particular interest you to join?

Coming to campus, I didn’t think I would go Greek. Friends influenced me. I found something different and I looked around.

Are there any rivalries between the Zetas and other sororities on campus?

Every sorority will think they’re the best. But it’s all out of fun. Everyone has pride. We are all part of the Divine Nine—NPHC—National Pan Hellenic Council…They govern us. Little 5 week was so much fun…It was everyone’s week.

Are you friends with other people in other sororities?

Yes…in the new delta Line

Are there any chants or songs that have been passed down?

Zeta Phi

Zeta Phi

Zeta Phi

Z-e-t-a- p-h-i—we sing this in a high pitched voice…while other members sing so sweet in background. We chant this song together.

Was it difficult to learn these chants?

I was so enthused. They were fun and easy to learn.

How long have you been a member?

5 months. I help out where I can. It is so much work, it is so busy. I help out plan week of events. Each member has to collaborate.

What have your major accomplishments been?

They are to accomplish my plans within a week. I have a couple days to get them done. I worked a lot and there is more to come.

How do you feel about your involvement in the 2008 Step Show?

I was “Stepping” up until 2 weeks. It in fact is very time consuming. I did a Monologue in the show. It is our second year now winning. Alpha won fraternity. Zeta won for the sororities. 1st place received $2,000 and 2nd place $1,000

Meaning/Function:

This interview helped me learn more about the folklore of African American Greek life. I was able to see an enactment of a tradition of the step show, hear a song that has been passed down, and record important information dealing with the life of Greek folk lore. Below is a picture taken from the step show. This picture shows excitement, happiness, rhythm, passion, hope, a brotherhood, a sisterhood, and most importantly, a tradition that will continue on for more years to come.