Peoples Park Mural

Bridget’s art file

Item 1: Peoples Park Mural
Artists Unknown—other than students at Rhino’s

Context: This is a mural made up of six different paintings that were done by students involved in the Rhino’s All age club, and can be found at Peoples Park on East Kirkwood. The manager at Rhino’s said that the artists would like to remain anonymous and were not available for consultation. This mural is available for public viewing, for it is located in a very central location.

This mural is made up of six different paintings. There is everything from abstract art and figures to landscapes and cartoon characters. This mural was meant to be an outlet for the teens at Rhino’s and I think that a lot of the mural paintings are paintings of feelings and visual images; it is used as an outlet of expression for everyday life.

Interview:
I interviewed Kayleigh Chrzan, a local at the People’s Park.

BS: Are you at the Peoples Park a lot?

KC: Yeah, I hang out here about everyday, it is uh close to everybody.

BS: So you see the murals every day then? What are your feelings on them?

KC: I think they are great. This is such an artistic town and an artistic street and I think that this park is really cool too cool at when you drive by and the murals make people look, ya know?

BS: So you like them? Do you think they give anything to the community?

KC: Yeah, definitely. It gives a since of community to the park which is fitting because the park is meant to be a gathering place.