Instagram Etiquette: The Unspoken Rules

Instagram Etiquette: The Unspoken Rules

Noah Pujol: IU senior, 4/18/21 Interview

Text:

How often do you think posting is appropriate? No more than twice a day because then you’re just annoying people

Do some people post too often/little? I personally wouldn’t care; other people might think they’re trying to get attention, which is what Instagram maybe is for.. excessive posting could make someone think that. If you don’t have anything to post once a year is fine

What times are appropriate for posting? 11am-10pm if it’s too early/late people won’t see it and you won’t get the max amount of likes… it’ll be seen no matter what because of the algorithm but it’s most effective during this time frame

What’s the best/most attractive content to post? Not people, I like seeing landscape photography and memes.. People mostly use Instagram to stay in touch and keep up with other people

Are there restrictions on selfies? It’s probably kinda cringey if that’s all someone posts.. You’re just saying ‘hi look at me’ over and over if there aren’t other people

What kinds of captions are appropriate for posts? Whatever makes you happy- I post random things I think of. It doesn’t have to relate to the picture

Should someone always have a caption? No they don’t need one but it can only add to the picture

Should people post to get the most amount of likes? Ideally no, it should just be for your friends but most people do base their success off of likes and followers – it matters but realistically it doesn’t

What types of people or age groups should post on Instagram? Anyone older than 12, under 12 without any content filters kids might see things they shouldn’t like sexually suggestive or violent content – no limit on how old

Should people refrain from posting content if their followers won’t enjoy/like it? No they should post whatever they want

Have you ever not posted something to avoid judgement from viewers? Probably and it was most likely a picture of myself just because I didn’t want to come off as conceited

How did you learn about these “rules”/what’s appropriate? Use common sense, gaining experience online, parents taught basic societal norms

Is “casual insta” changing the traditional “rules” of Insta? It’s going back to how it was when I was in middle school, now it’s become post yourself at your best- your highlights but it’s returning to casual

Good post example? It’s a recap of miscellaneous adventures, which to me is a good post because I want to see what interesting things other people are up to

Texture: Noah provides information concerning typical Instagram posting trends and how he views internet culture through this platform. A lot of his comments make a contrast between what people should post and what they do post. His opinions allow insight into the subconscious minds of Instagram users; he explains how he remains relaxed with posting and steers away from following traditional expectations, but underlying thoughts ultimately control his view of content. For example, he talks about how individuals who may post frequently may come off as attention-seeking or excessive even though it does not matter how much someone may choose to share. There seems to exist a known conceptual limit for what is acceptable even if it cannot be expressed quantitatively.

Function in Context: Noah’s example of his own post demonstrates how some may view fun, captivating content. His caption especially proves interesting as it says “pandemic on film #35mm” referring to several photographs he took himself during the time of lockdown. He wishes to share with others what he has been up to while he could not see a majority of his friends and family. His goal behind this post was to connect himself with the outside world during a period where everyone was forced to stay apart. Also, his use of the 35mm hashtag further connects himself to a group of photographers who also take photos of this sort. Noah’s content exemplifies his view of an appropriate post through its function of sharing valuable material and bringing him closer to his online followers.

Folklore Special Interest: Folklore specialists may find material such as this especially interesting because of Instagram’s way of communicating essential internet rules without deliberately explaining them. Noah could confidently identify his piece as tolerable for online use because of his common sense and societal norm knowledge. His likes and comments further demonstrate support from his followers that this post was intriguing enough for them to engage in a friendly manner.

Noelle Simoneaux: IU second year, 4/18/21 Self-Documentation

Text:

How often do you think posting is appropriate? I feel like posting 2-3 times a month is okay but posting multiple times a day gets overwhelming.

What times are appropriate for posting? I used to only post on either Friday or Saturday between noon and 9pm because I knew I would get more likes then, but now I just post whenever I have something I want to share.

What’s the best/most attractive content to post? I really enjoy seeing fashion or style-based content; I find my own outfit/accessory inspiration from them.

Are there restrictions on selfies? It’s becoming less popular to post selfies because most users have their friends take photos for them. I feel like there’s a little judgement that comes from posting selfies because you’re putting your face out there free to receive possible criticism or praise.

What kinds of captions are appropriate for posts? I always try and make my captions match with my photos in a clever, fun sort of way; sometimes I’ll use word play or emojis to seem livelier. Not all posts require a caption, but I enjoy reading them and seeing how people respond in the comments section.

Should people post to get the most amount of likes? People shouldn’t post just for likes because at the end of the day they don’t matter but it’s difficult to not get caught up in counting them and basing your content worth on them. You’ll never be satisfied with how many you receive; they’ll always bring you down.

What types of people or age groups should post on Instagram? 15+ should be allowed on Instagram; younger than high school age users might still only see the highlights of people’s lives and compare themselves to those standards. They also may not know enough about internet safety settings.

Should people refrain from posting content if their followers won’t enjoy/like it? People should post what they feel represents them and makes them happy. If people don’t like what you share, they aren’t your friends anyway. You don’t have to always please everyone with your content, it’s ultimately for yourself.

How did you learn about these “rules”/what’s appropriate? I think when I first started posting on Instagram in middle school I didn’t really know what was appropriate and I just posted random things I was doing, but over time I started modeling the behavior of other people and making my posts better match theirs.

Is “casual insta” changing the traditional “rules” of Insta? It’s making an effort to display people’s lives as a whole and not just the best edited material, but people are always going to want to put their best foot forward.

Good post example? I like the caption I used for this post, I thought the word play was sweet and silly. I also like when people share photos of nature and natural beauty, so I posted a photo dump of trees from a hike, the moon, and a sunset at lake Monroe.

Texture: I feel as if my responses touch on the psychological aspects of using Instagram and the way the human mind plays a role in internet choices. Something I remain conscious of is possible judgement from others and how that may control my actions and others’ reactions. Although I enjoy seeing others feel confident and post selfies online, there will always be users who view this material in a negative light and assume those posting pictures of themselves are searching for online validation. For me, likes used to play a large role in what I felt I should post but now I focus on sharing things that are important to me regardless of others perceptions. As a human, a voice in your head may always urge you to compare your posts to those of others, but it is more rewarding to share items that prove valuable to yourself.

Function in Context: This post displays how I use my Instagram account to express myself and share moments of natural beauty I find interesting to look at. Before posting this set of photos, I knew they would not get the amount of attention and likes as my past posts, but that aspect seemed miniscule compared to the benefits of using my page as an extension of myself. My post functions as an outlet for which I can present my followers with moments I deem meaningful and significant enough to associate with my name.

Folklore Special Interest: Folklore emphasizes the features of art and creative aesthetics which I see pouring through Instagram material. I share photos of nature because I find them naturally beautiful and artful in their own sense. I also examine my profile overall and try to match color tones and establish variety in what I feature. Crafting a pleasing page to look at involves more thought and deliberation than one may assume. Further ethnographic research could look into the process by which users view their page as an artistic outlet and means of expressing creative skill.

Kelly Wentzlof: IU sophomore, 4/18/21 Interview

Text:

How often do you think posting is appropriate? However much someone wants to. I don’t post a lot but other people find that it comes more natural to them to post.

Do some people post too often/little? No, it’s up to them. If someone has a problem, they’ll just unfollow.

What times are appropriate for posting? Depends on the goal: for likes they’ll know when their followers are most active, others will just post when something monumental happens (like getting a dog)

What’s the best/most attractive content to post? I like to see when people are actually having fun and aren’t posting for others’ views. They want to come back to those moments and remember them for themselves.

Are there restrictions on selfies? No, if someone’s feeling themselves, they should post. Everyone needs validation sometimes to feel good about themselves.

What kinds of captions are appropriate for posts? People think a lot about captions; I want to try to be clever. I don’t read that much into other people’s captions unless they’re sad. Everyone usually tries to be a little bit funny

Should people post to get the most amount of likes? It’s not the healthiest reason to do it but, it feels good to see likes. You probably haven’t seen those people in years, so they don’t really matter. Some people just post for themselves to reflect later.

What types of people or age groups should post on Instagram? For younger users, it depends on content; I wouldn’t want to restrict my child, but I also wouldn’t want them looking for validation through online things over hanging out with friends in person. I wouldn’t want them posting and having creepy adults reach out to them either.

Should people refrain from posting content if their followers won’t enjoy/like it? No, do what you gotta do. It’s your account to post what you want, and people can just unfollow.

How did you learn about these “rules”/what’s appropriate? Age and experience on the app; I pick up on patterns and follow trends while scrolling

Is “casual insta” changing the traditional “rules” of Insta? In quarantine people started posting photo dumps of fun things they’re doing like new hobbies because no one’s doing anything extravagant right now. Even with this though people still include nice photos (like regular instagram). Finstas are going away and casual Instagram is combining these (finstas and more real).

Good post example? Hunter Schafer: Actress from Euphoria; She posts art and creative advertisement videos with a mix of professional model photos. She also uses stories to advocate for smaller local communities (not just big movements) which celebrities typically don’t do.

Texture: Kelly’s interview responses highlight the idea of motivations behind internet sharing; she includes knowledge that assists in better understanding what compels individuals to post certain information on social media. She notes that select people hold natural motivation and it comes more easily to them to share photos online. They instinctively are more willing to place personal material on the internet for others to see. She also mentions that although it is not the healthiest option, some find motivation to post through external validation in the form of online attention and engagement with likes and comments. Kelly notes that everyone needs validation sometimes, indicating that using the internet for this purpose can be okay in moderation as long as it is coupled by intrinsic acknowledgement of worth.

Function in Context: Kelly describes how actress Hunter Schafer’s Instagram profile stands out to her because of her ability to balance work-related professional model photos and other more casual personal art pieces. Mixing these two aspects together makes Hunter seem more relatable and similar to her followers. She is not simply a celebrity model, alien to typical human functions. Kelly also especially appreciates how Hunter uses the Instagram stories function to advocate for smaller local communities. Kelly mentions that most celebrities only post about larger social justice movements and national tragedies out of obligation to avoid backlash, but Hunter goes out of her way to support even smaller scale causes requiring attention. Hunter uses her platform to spread awareness of worthy causes and uses her follower base in a beneficial community-oriented manner.

Folklore Special Interest: Specialists may find celebrity profiles such as Hunter’s worthy of more extensive research because of how she uses her resources, specifically the Instagram Stories tab, to support folkloric activism. No one requires that Hunter operate her profile in this way, but she does it out of her free will. I wonder to what extent her posts inspire her followers. How much action is taken on their part for the causes simply because they saw them on her page? Would it prove worthwhile for other celebrities to take on this same method of Instagram posting?

Laura Gerber: IU sophomore, 4/18/21 Interview

Text:

How often do you think posting is appropriate? Once every week or 1 to 2 weeks

Do some people post too often/little? celebrities/news accounts post too much, not like people my age/friends … never too little, people share when they want

What times are appropriate for posting? During big tragedies, posting lighthearted content seems tone deaf.. For example, during covid thousands of people are dying, doctors are overworked, and everyone’s under intense stress so it seems rude to post about silly things

What’s the best/most attractive content to post? I like seeing people’s vacations or outfit pictures

Are there restrictions on selfies? No one really posts selfies anymore; mostly expect portrait shots (selfies seem millennial) They’re more appropriate for stories

What kinds of captions are appropriate for posts? Short little goofy ones are fun; I don’t really read captions very much unless it’s serious. They’re the last thing I look at

Should someone always have a caption? Depends on the context (with family seems a little weird but other artistic pictures more normal not to caption)

Should people post to get the most amount of likes? It’s hard not to.. If I post a picture mostly just of me, I look to them for validation because I’m putting myself out there and feel vulnerable

What types of people or age groups should post on Instagram? 15+.. It’s scary when 12-year-olds have accounts because they don’t fully understand what’s appropriate. Old people accounts look different but are cute and they usually want to be connected

Should people refrain from posting content if their followers won’t enjoy/like it? You should post what you see as important to you and your community. If I only posted what others like, I would probably never post.

How did you learn about these “rules”/what’s appropriate? I picked them up looking at what other people are posting; I mimic them and am influenced by what I’ve seen before.

Is “casual insta” changing the traditional “rules” of Insta? It’s cute and nice to use Instagram how you want to, like to connect with people and show them who you really are. Before now, it has become fake and pre-planned.

Good post example?

Amanda Gorman: She never posts anything problematic, just fun content. She balances between model photos, childhood memories, and poems.

Texture: One noteworthy concept Laura brings to light is the idea of appropriate timing and how paying attention to world happenings can affect what one should share. She discusses how posting lighthearted content in the midst of big tragedies seems “tone deaf”. She uses Covid as an example to explain how while many people were facing life or death situations and several grave factors came into play, others made the insensitive decision to post photos of them traveling and going to crowded beaches. While everyone is under intense stress, it seems rude to post about silly things that would take away from the more important matters at stake.

Function in Context: Laura features American poet Amanda Gorman as maintaining an appropriate and well-handled Instagram account. Like Hunter, Amanda actively balances her posts between professional works/promotions and other more informal content. Her posts are both informative and creative in nature, allowing her followers to gain information easily from her material and engage with it in a relaxed manner. Amanda’s page functions as a sort of networking outlet where her fans can access her writing works and quickly share their favorites with friends who may be interested and have yet to see her pieces. Her Instagram encourages and invites audience members to explore what she has to offer.

Folklore Special Interest: Folklorists may use Amanda’s online success to further examine efficient ways that traditional writers and authors of all kinds can disperse their pieces. Instagram posts may help these individuals in these occupations to share culturally significant stories they have written or that have been passed down to them. Posting gives them a space to share their material with an audience who is willing to hear what they have to say and interact with them.

Allison Mueller; IU sophomore, 4/18/21 Interview

Text:

How often do you think posting is appropriate? Every two weeks

Do some people post too often/little? Some people post everything they do, and it gets repetitive.

What times are appropriate for posting? During some big world events (but during prominent moments like BLM it’s not appropriate to post about yourself)

What’s the best/most attractive content to post? Vacation photos or content about activities you don’t see every day, like sightseeing locations.

Are there restrictions on selfies? Times have changed, now instead of selfies friends usually take full body pictures.

What kinds of captions are appropriate for posts? Sometimes it’s weird if there isn’t one but sometimes you just can’t come up with something. When the photo and caption aren’t matching that can also be weird (like a smiling selfie with a deep caption or random bible verse).

Should people post to get the most amount of likes? People do that but you can also just post whatever you want. If other people don’t like it that’s okay, they can unfollow.

What types of people or age groups should post on Instagram? 12/13 is a little too young because they don’t know the internet, but in high school you start to understand more.

Should people refrain from posting content if their followers won’t enjoy/like it? It’s up to you what you want to show people, and they can unfollow.

How did you learn about these “rules”/what’s appropriate? Seeing what other people posted and my parents explained what not to put on the internet

Is “casual insta” changing the traditional “rules” of Insta? It hasn’t caught on yet, but it’s letting people feel more relaxed with likes and physical looks online; it’s more chill that used to be.

Good post example? My friends from home post nice pics every couple months and balance between partying photos and other normal content.

Texture: Allison comments that when it comes to posting, there is not a definite number or guideline for how much/what someone should share, but an underlying collective set of standards determines when someone may overshare or go overboard online. She explains how some people feel the need to post everything they do on social media which may bombard followers and quickly become annoying. While it proves challenging for many of the interviewees to put into words what exactly is acceptable to post on Instagram, they all realize some moments stand out as more influential and deserving of appearing online as compared to more mundane tasks. Allison especially enjoys seeing people share content about activities you may not experience yourself everyday like traveling to unique places.

Function in Context: Related to Allison’s last point about viewing posts regarding experiences that may not appear every day, Instagram seems to function as a way of almost living through other people or participating in their uncommon occurrences. People gain insight into locations they may never get to visit themselves or see spaces they could never enter on their own without special access. Instagram bypasses these boundaries and allows users an exclusive opportunity to come closer to visiting these spots on their own accord.

Folklore Special Interest: Experts in the folklore field may find the processes in which typical Instagram users can enter generally restricted private spaces of special interest. Those who have never traveled outside the United States could have connections to different cultural communities around the world and experience their traditions and learn about their values without leaving home. Becoming more familiar with these social groups can help disband the idea of superior westernization and breakdown borders standing between America and the rest of the population. Having accessibility to acquire information and better understand various groups can lead to the development of stronger cross-cultural ties.

Overall, my cyberlore research project features several common threads and interesting features regarding Instagram etiquette. Most compelling, however, was how nearly all my informants stated something along the lines of “if someone doesn’t enjoy what you post, they can just unfollow”. While each of them may have gotten caught up in the idea of receiving likes and following traditional norms of Instagram at one point or another, they now collectively realize that ultimately those who cannot appreciate your content can simply leave. They all also came in solidarity with the “casual Instagram” movement and support its efforts to encourage more realistic posts as compared to planned, edited, highlight reels. Both aspects give me hope for the future that Instagram users may share posts about who they really are without fearing judgement and criticism from their followers; unspoken rules will always arise in internet usage but perhaps in the coming times they will better accommodate and allow for additional freedom of expression.

One element of my research that pertains to the ideas brought forth in Trevor Blank’s work The Last Laugh is how those attempting to survive the internet age must master the ability to balance their content online. Both Kelly and Laura explained how some of their favorite Instagram accounts were run by celebrities who effectively shared both professional material and other intimate aspects of their life. Similarly, Blank includes in his piece how “public figures had to balance their ideological stances and personal quirks with the ability to connect with their audiences” (Blank 58). His quote explains how prominent figures in mass media and pop culture are expected to discover this sense of balance between professionalism and relatable information to best reach their support base. Later on, he also states that celebrities are “judged by their ability to performatively conform to the socially constructed values and expectations” (Blank 59). In the case of social media, public figures must learn to follow the unspoken rules associated with societal norms and internet trends. When placed under the spotlight, celebrities must set the example for Instagram posting and achieving the correct amount of balance to please their followers.