Roommate Interview: Dorm Food

Roommate 1 Interview

Source: Kelly Wentzlof, current IU Sophomore; Mar 29, 2021

Text:

How often did you cook your meals compared to eating dining hall food?

4-5 times a week ate in room or assembled food there

What kinds of meals did you eat in the dorm?

Microwavable pasta -Mac n Cheese, Bagels

Did anyone you know or live with have unique specialty meals?

One guy from our floor made a lot of things in the microwave. He had a mini waffle maker and a tiny skillet that could plug into the wall. He was known for making and creating vegan meat supplements like fake sausage and tofu burgers in his microwave.

How did you find ideas for what to make?

My food choices really depended on the weather, dining hall location, and where I was studying. Like if I spent the day in the library, I would eat all three meals there.

Did your parents or relatives pass down any dorm-friendly recipes from their college days?

My sister told me about microwavable pasta and claimed it was a “life-saver”. She also set me up with pedialytes because she said it helps with hangovers.

If you were cooking in your dorm, where did you get your ingredients?

Wright C-store, Wilkie C-store (grocery shop there), College Mall (hard getting there without car)

Did dorm life teach you any useful kitchen skills?

“Microwave.” I actually ended up trying more foods at the dining halls that I wouldn’t have had at home; I tried different cuisines because they were more accessible, like “The Traveler”.

Texture: Kelly’s information gave me a broad overview of her dorm life eating habits. She reveals how she went about making decisions and possible factors that could influence her meals. She mentioned an individual from her floor known for being especially creative with his meals and having resourceful kitchen abilities. Since he was vegan, he used materials to make and cook his own veggie-based foods such as fake sausage and tofu burgers. He did have extra help by having additional cooking equipment such as a waffle maker and an electric skillet, but both were created with the idea of college students in mind. Kelly also mentions the essential meal of microwavable pasta that her sister claims proved essential in her time. Her sister also introduced to her the tradition of having pedialyte the morning after heaving drinking because it aids in hangover relief.

Context: The information Kelly provided revolves around college campus and is restricted by the factor of living in a dorm. She talked about frequently eating in campus dining halls but selected one based on its closeness to her dorm. Kelly also explained how she heard about recipes from those living on her dorm floor, and they would also often eat at specific dining halls together. Only on special occasions, never in the winter, they would plan to walk to Kirkwood to enjoy off campus meals. Accessibility in relation to the dorm heavily affected where she got her ingredients and meals.

Interpretation: I relate identify certain aspects of tradition in Kelly’s data, specifically, when she received helpful advice from her sister. Her older sister was looking out for her and took information she had learned and picked up from others and passed it down to Kelly. From there, Kelly kept in mind her tips and taught them to her friends and dorm-mates. Because of the recommendation from her sister to try the microwavable pasta, Kelly ended up relying on this as a staple meal. She also used the pedialyte trick and found it helpful and was able to spread its effectiveness on to others. The idea of tradition and the passing along of information helps college students survive; being on your own can seem daunting and having guidance from relatives and other students eases the transition.