Lindsey B’s Sorority Notes

From Lindsey B’s journal:

Text 1
In some sororities and fraternities they post “toilet times”. This includes, but is not limited to, gossip around the house, the weather, stories, jokes, and riddles. For example, in my sorority ours is called the “Kappa Krappa” and it always contains pictures, jokes, and interesting facts. I thought this would be considered folklore because it is kind of a tradition that is not written down anywhere. People just do it for fun and not all houses on campus have it. These “toilet times” include many elements of lore like riddles, jokes, and proverbial expressions.

Besides the “toilet times”, another thing sometimes found in the stalls are birthday signs. When any girl in my house turns 21, signs are posted of her all around the house, especially in the bathroom. These signs include pictures, usually embarrassing, and then a funny saying. These sayings are usually a joke specific to the person. I thought this was also an element of folklore because it is a tradition that has been passed down throughout the years. No one tells us to do it, we just do it for fun.

Text 2

At lunch, some of my friends and I were talking about why all sororities on campus have key codes in order to get in. A girl told a story that it used to be that boys were allowed at the sorority houses whenever they wanted. There were very few rules and regulations about visiting hours and such. Then, on a big campus like IU’s, a man entered a sorority house one evening and went unnoticed. Girls were so used to seeing men walking around that no one thought to question him or think twice about him being there. Well, this intruder went into the women’s dormitory and killed several of the women while they were sleeping. Ever since, sororities nation wide have increased their security and put strict regulations of men’s visiting hours. I felt this was some type of Urban Legend. Maybe a story shared to scare women and reinforce the importance of strict security in the sororities.