Just Beyond the Elevator

Title #2: Just Beyond the Elevator

(The following was an interview I conducted with my friend Ray Friedman, a senior)

JF: Ray, I have been asking my friends about funny or weird legends about the library. However, I wanted to know if you’ve heard about anything scary or paranormal.

RF: Um, well I gotta think {pause for a few seconds, stretched in his seat}

Well the only thing that I can really think of at the moment is stuff about the eleventh floor and how nobody wants to go up there

JF: Well I had to go up there once to find a book for my journalism class and it wasn’t so bad, just really quiet.

RF: Yeah, that’s primarily what I’ve heard.

JF: But what is scary about it, in your opinion?

RF: Just that the elevator stops at the tenth floor, so it’s kinda creepy that if you need to go up there for any reason, you’ll need to walk in the stairwell alone. Then once you get up there, it’s like a pin could drop twenty feet away and you would notice it. That feeling makes me cringe.

JF: Why?

RF: ‘Cause the side of me that loves horror movies is waiting for some crazy person to jump out around the corner. It just feels like a natural reaction to be weirded out at the complete silence up there. Like if my shoes squeak as I pass through the stacks, it is literally the only sound I’ll hear.

JF: Do you think this legend is popular for a reason?

RF: Um, well I guess it is because the students needed something to talk about other than sex in the stacks! {laughed}

Context:

Contributor: Jackie Faine

Informant(s): Ray Friedman

Members of the Audience: Ray and myself

Semester/Year: Fall 2005

Location: The Starbucks off of Indiana

Title: Just Beyond the Elevator